Massage can be a powerful tool to aid in healing and recovery but the question does come up: “When should a person avoid getting a massage session?”
Below are some of the common sense and more specific reasons to put off a session with your favorite body worker. As with any medical condition, your massage therapist should require you to have a medical professional be aware of your potential bodywork as to avoid contraindications.
1. Do to an infection or fever – During fever, or during an infection, according to Ayurvedic principles, there will be disturbance in Agni (digestive power) and body will not be in a position to take a massage. Your body is healing, rest is indicated as the best healing assistance.
2. During inflammation, swelling or blunt injuries – When the body is swollen due blunt injuries or other medical condition it is best to avoid massage. Massage can be performed if the localized area can be avoided. Lymphatic work may be helpful if cleared with your medical practitioner.
3. During abdominal pain - A pain that is arising due to gastric, liver or other organ dysfunction should be cleared with a medical professional. Some gastric and lymphatic dysfunctions can be treated with massage but always check with medical professional first.
4. Wounds or contagious skin conditions – With any wound or recent surgery, massage is not advised due to pain or risk of re-injury. Many skin conditions are helped by massage but contagious or fungal infections are contraindicated.
5. With a healing bone or fracture – Massage during fracture may cause displaced bone arrangement, leading to complications and disrupt healing process.
6. During 1st trimester of pregnancy – Massage during pregnancy can be very helpful. Since there are several Accupressure points which are contraindicated during the 1st trimester, massage is best avoided during that time. As always consult with your OB/GYN to clear any bodywork for your 2nd & 3rd trimesters.
7. During a feeling of urgency – If your mind is pre-occupied about a pending work, which is very urgent, better to avoid massage at that time. Set your mind free and then go for massage to enjoy maximum benefits.
Be mindful of your body & your mental state before booking a session. Consult your bodyworker if you have any questions, we are here to help.
Massage therapy is a profession where practitioners study new therapies, understand current pathology as well as stay available to the truth that your client may not need a massage today.
And being OK with telling them so.